Monday, August 3, 2009

July 27th - 31st

July 27th - 9.76 / 2,522.98 - Day off in Lowell


Being an off day I was able to sleep in. Spent most of the day relaxing and working on the last blog entry. I did do a little biking along the Selway River which was very pretty. While taking a break on a rock on the river I was approached by several river otters. Pretty noisy animals but entertaining as well. It was another hot day around 100 so I took a trip across the street to the cafe to sit in some air conditioning for a little while. The huckleberry shake was delicious!



Foggy morning


Where the Selway River meets the Lochsa River


One of my new favorite forests


Taking a river break

July 28th - 35.37 / 2,558.35 - Lowell - Kamiah
After breakfast I was back on dangerous hwy 12. I made several picnic area breaks and stopped in the ton of Kooskia for some supplies. I was amazed by the size of the salmon in the pictures at the gas station. The rivers in Idaho have some gigantic fish! I passed several houses across the river which are only accessible by private tram cars that go over the river on cables. ( pictured below ) I arrived to Kamiah nice and early and set up camp. After having some salad and pizza in town I did my laundry and took a dip in the pool. There was a cafe at the campground where I had a pretty good dinner. I was even able to rent a movie to watch on my laptop but shortly after starting it very strong winds came through that were so loud I couldn't here the movie. There were large branches breaking off trees and falling all over the campground. I eventually fell asleep hoping that I wouldn't get crushed.

Private tram cars for houses across river where there are no roads


On the road again


Rest area


Forest fire


Bikers welcome, woohoo!


The campground host



July 29th - 67.96 / 2,626.31 - Kamiah - Lewiston

I woke up to my tent surrounded by large downed branches. The winds last night were incredible! After breakfast at the campground cafe I got back on the road. I was still on hwy 12 which got even more dangerous with nowhere to move over when cars and trucks passed. The ride was very beautiful though following the Clearwater river the entire way. I saw eagles, osprey, hawks, and cranes. Midway through the ride I got a flat. Luckily there was some shade nearby off the road where I could change the tube. It was really hot out again. After a long but easy ride I made it to the city of Lewiston. Had some really good Chinese food and checked into a motel. So nice to be out of the sun and in some air conditioning.


Clearwater River


So clean and refreshing


The very tight shoulder with no room to move over for traffic


Many white sand beaches


So peaceful along the river


Picnic area - always a welcome break from hwy 12


Heading into Lewiston


No joke!


July 30th - 12.10 / 2,638.41 - Lewiston - Hells Gate State Park
Woke up nice and slow today since I only had to go to the other end of town to get to my campsite. I found a nice bike path that followed the Clearwater River to the Snake River and then the Snake River to the state park. I made a stop at the very informative Lewis and Clark Visitor Center and then set up camp. There was a really good 30 minute film on the Lewis and Clark expeditions trip through Idaho. Idaho was a very tough state for them to pass through and there is so much history in the area. I called my friends Gwen and Doug who I had met a week back at Wendover Campground and we made plans to meet up for dinner. They picked me up from my campsite and took me on scenic drive up a very large hill overlooking the cities of Lewiston, Idaho and Clarkston, Washington. The view was incredible!! After that we headed into Clarkston to the Riverport Brewery. I had the sampler platter of beers and they were all very good! So fresh and delicious! I even got to meet the owner/brewer Marv who gave me a nice hat. After the brewery Doug and Gwen treated me to a very good dinner at Roosters Waterfront restaurant. I had the bite size steak, gouda mashed potatoes, soup, and tried steamed clams. Everything was delicious! Thanks again so much Gwen and Doug!!!


Clearwater River

A replica of the Lewis and Clark expedition canoes

Hells Gate State Park


High up view of Lewiston and Clarkston


Where the Clearwater meets the Snake

July 31st - 21.87 / 2,705.28 - Day off at Hells Gate State Park
Today was a day off at Hells Gate State Park. I packed up my stuff and moved about 500 feet to the Ponderosa Cabin, which has air conditioning! It was really hot, 109 degrees in the afternoon. After a nap in the cabin I biked into Lewiston for a late lunch and then back to the park. Spent most of the afternoon checking out the park and doing some hiking and biking. At night I started working on the Quest West dvd which will be released in early 2010.

Snake River / bike path

Very dry and hot at Hells Gate

The cabin

No comments:

Post a Comment