Thursday, June 9, 2011

Days 5 and 6

Day Five
Woke up to a chilly morning in Lake Almanor and was invited to have breakfast with the manager Steve of Big Springs Resort.  Steve cooked up a tasty breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast, and hash browns.  Thanks again Steve, that was excellent!  I biked down the east side of Lake Almanor and met a number of really nice folks.  Spent the day bicycling through Plumas National Forest, so beautiful!  It was a mix of sunshine and rain, sometimes becoming pretty heavy.  The rain didn't bother me at all seeing as the scenery was so incredible.  I came across a waterfall called Indian Falls and took a nice break at this sopt, it was great!  I eventually reached the Feather River and began my 10 mile climb into the town of Quincy.  This area is known as the "7 Wonders of the Railroad World".   There is some pretty incredible railroad tunnels and trestles in this part of the country.  Also all kinds of wildflowers popping up everywhere.  I have noticed that many of the license plates are from all over the country and have met all sorts of travelers including hitchhikers and train hoppers.  So great to see people out enjoying life to the fullest!  As I entered Quincy I rode into town on a nice little bike trail and then checked into my room at the Gold Pan Lodge.  Thanks for the donated room Gold Pan!!!  Headed into town to do some laundry and got some dinner at Champions Pizza and Wings, very good dinner!  Headed back to the room and had some wine and did my last blog update.  What a great day!



River leading into Lake Almanor


Lake Almanor with Mt. Lassen hiding in the clouds





Coffee Break


Haha, this cracked me up!









Heavy rain ahead!


Indian Falls





















Bike trail into Quincy

Thanks for the room Gold Pan Lodge!!
http://www.chamberorganizer.com/quincychamber/mem_goldpan


Day Six
Woke up to the sound of rain and it kept up all morning.  I stopped in town and bought some dish gloves which really help out with keeping your hands warm and dry.  Thanks for the tip David Palmer!  Just after getting over the first summit I met my first bicycle tourist of the trip.  She was traveling from San Diego to Canada.  Always nice to see other people out there doing similar adventures.  I spent most of the day biking alongside creeks and rivers and am amazed by how much water there is this year.  Everyone I talk to says it is much more than normal.  As I biked into Graeagle I made a stop at the East Plumas County Chamber and met some very kind and helpful ladies.  Thanks again so much for all of your help and kind words, it was really nice meeting you both!  Made a stop at Millworks in Graeagle for coffee and lunch.  Nice little town with lot's of red barns and stores.  After leaving Graeagle I began my second summit climb of the day reaching 5,441 feet.  This is higher than the highest point on my bicycle trip from Wisconsin to California.   As soon as I reached the summit I was entering Tahoe National Forest and the sun came out for my decent into Sierraville.  It was a fun ride down and very scenic.  When I arrived in Sierraville I was greated by the local chamber, the fire department, the forest service, and even Smoky the Bear!  It was such a warm welcome, thanks so much Sierraville!!  The chamber was very kind and gave me some gifts, food, as well as got me a room at Sierra Hot Springs.  I checked into my incredible room and then headed out to the hot pools for a nice soak.  It felt incredible and I stayed in the pools for hours!  My room was in a beautiful lodge from the 1870's and the manager offered me some lasagna and beverages.  The lodge has a community kitchen and is very cozy.  Really enjoyed my stay in Sierraville!!


Common site along the roadsides





Lunch at Millworks in Graeagle

Millworks - one of many red barns in Graeagle



This house caught my eye

Heading up the summit

Top of the summit




Road into Sierraville


What a wonderful greeting!

Thanks Sierraville!!

Sierra Hot Springs Lodge


My Room

The Temple Dome



Phoenix Bath

No comments:

Post a Comment