Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 9th, 10th, 11th

You may now post comments at the bottom of each blog post
- Thanks, Kevin


July 9th
Today was a day of relaxation.  After having breakfast at the Recapture Lodge I biked one mile down the road to the Desert Rose Inn.  The Desert Rose Inn offered me a nights stay, thank you so much!!!  I spent the day relaxing at the beautiful Inn and watched a couple movies.  It was nice to not have to go or be anywhere all day.  Leah Schrenk at the very awesome San Juan River Kitchen in Bluff offered me dinner.  I biked the short distance to the restaurant and had an incredible dinner of Chile Relleno and peppermint iced tea.  I'd have to say it was by far the best Chile Relleno I have ever tasted!  After dinner I headed back to the Desert Rose and relaxed on the large deck watching a thunderstorm come in from the west.  Very nice day of relaxation and delicious food!
http://www.desertroseinn.com/
http://www.sanjuanriverkitchen.com/

Thank you Desert Rose Inn!!!



The deck

Approaching thunderstorm

My room

View from my room

Thank you San Juan River Kitchen!!!

All local food, nice to know where your food comes from!

Inside the restaurant

Best Chile Relleno ever!


July 10th
After checking out of the Desert Rose Inn I biked across the street to Comb Ridge Coffee.  I met a man named Steve who was on a motorcycle trip and we shared many stories and talked for some time.  Steve was very kind and had a lot of interesting stories to share, it was a pleasure to meet you Steve!  After leaving the coffee shop I biked down the road to Cadillac Ranch RV Park.  After speaking with Diana Lohman at the RV Park and explaining my situation of being stuck in Bluff until I get my tubes she offered to let me stay at the campsite as long as I needed.  Thank you so much Diana!!!  After getting my tent set up I crossed the street to check out the historic Fort Bluff Museum.  I spent a couple hours exploring the museum and learning about how Bluff became a town.  I also watched a film put on my the Hole in the Rock Foundation that was very interesting!  In 1879-1880 the Mormons took an incredibly difficult journey to Bluff to establish a settlement in the area.  To learn more check out the link posted below, hirf.org.  The very friendly folks at the museum gave me a free copy of the movie after I inquired about it.  It was done really well and very informative.  After leaving Fort Bluff I went back to the campsite to relax and catch up on emails.  The campsite was really nice next to a pond full of wildlife.  I saw more lizards than I have ever seen as well as a wide variety of birds.  I was offered dinner tonight from Rick Reeb, owner of Cottonwood Steakhouse.  Thank you so much Rick!!!  My dinner once again was excellent!  I ordered the half a rack of ribs with potatoes, beans, salad, and bread.  So good!!!  After dinner I headed over to a hiking trail that took me behind a sandstone rock formation called Twin Rocks.  The hike was excellent and I had the area all to myself.  It was incredibly beautiful and was exactly what I love about hiking.  So nice to hike up to the top of the rocks and just look out over the town of Bluff and take it all in.  After the sun started to set I headed over to the gas station and got a couple beers to take back to the campsite.  Spent the night relaxing, going through my photos, and listening to the symphony of bullfrogs.
http://www.cadillacranchrv.com/
http://www.cottonwoodsteakhouse.com/
http://www.hirf.org/





Pleasure to meet you Steve!

Thanks Cadillac Ranch RV Park!!!

The campsite


The pond

One of thousands!

Emu's Elvis and Elvira at Cadillac Ranch





John Taylor

Hole In The Rock Pioneers Memorial





Frederick and Mary Jones and Family












Thanks Cottonwood Steakhouse!!!

Outdoor seating area




Awesome barbecue ribs, potatoes, and beans!


Twin Rocks


Hike up to the top




View overlooking Bluff, Utah






Little taste of home



July 11th
After a shower at the very clean bathrooms at Cadillac Ranch RV Park I headed over to Twin Rocks Cafe for a coffee.  As I was sitting outside on the patio enjoying my coffee I was approached by a friendly dog.  We hung out for a bit and then I headed over to the post office to see if my tubes and tire had showed up.  Nothing yet so I decided I would go do laundry since I had another day off.  Later in the day I had dinner at the Twin Rocks Cafe and then went back to hike the same trail I did the day before.  I really enjoyed this spot and wanted to re-visit it.  It was just as nice as the first time!  Went back to the campsite and just after dark a big thunderstorm blew in and I took shelter.  When it started to slow down I crawled into my tent and went to sleep.  Overall a nice relaxing day in Bluff.





Twin Rocks Trading Post and Cafe

My new friend!

Navajo Burger ( Navajo Frybread for bun )

Happy Hiker



Happy Camper

3 comments:

  1. Great images Kevin. Sounds like great experiences with the locals continue. You are doing an excellent job with your blog, full of enjoyable details and stories. Thanks and keep it coming...your terrific reports. Safe travels and good health. :-) Dad )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin! My dad is the Steve that you met on July 10th and the description of your encounter with him made me laugh because he does have a lot of interesting stories! You have now been added to his collection of stories-we just looked through his pictures of his trip today!
    Good luck with your adventure :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dad!!

    Hey Lauren, thanks for the comment! I really enjoyed meeting and talking with you dad, very nice guy! :)

    ReplyDelete