Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 18th, 19th, 20th

August 18th
After a nice continental breakfast at the Best Western Cimarron in Stillwater I packed up and realized my helmet was missing.  I must have left it on the side of the road when Susan picked me up.  Do'h!  I headed back to Cooper Cycle Center and told Mary about my missing helmet and she donated a helmet and mirror to me!  When I was about to leave she offered me some better tires called Armadillos so I wouldn't get as many flats.  Thank you so much Mary Cash and Cooper Cycle Center!!!  Next up I stopped at the Stillwater Chamber of Commerce and met Nicki and Justin who were both super friendly!  We talked for a while and I got to thank Nicki for getting me rescued off the side of the road the day before.  Thanks again Nicki!!!  After putting on my new tires and saying goodbye I began my ride to Stroud, OK.  It was getting very hot and there were many hills to climb, not an easy ride.  I biked through the towns of Perkins and Cushing which is a major hub in oil supply.  After a long hot day of biking I arrived to the Best Western in Stroud.  The Stroud Chamber of Commerce had arranged a donated room from the Best Western.  Thanks Stroud Chamber and Stroud Best Western!!!  I called Rick from the Stroud Chamber after getting checked in and he came down and bought me dinner at the Ranch House Restaurant in the hotel.  The fried chicken was excellent!  Rick then gave me a tour of Stroud and told me about the frequent tornadoes that have hit the town as well as showed me Main Street which is also Route 66.  I then went back to the room and fell asleep to a movie.
http://www.coopersbikes.com/
http://www.stillwaterchamber.org/
http://www.stroudchamber.com/
http://www.bestwesternoklahoma.com/hotels/best-western-stroud-motor-lodge/

Thanks Mary and Cooper Cycle Center!

Thanks Stillwater Chamber of Commerce!

A friend I made at the gas station

Cimarron River

Hills!


Shade break


Thanks Stroud Best Western!

Thanks Stroud Chamber of Commerce!


August 19th
Woke up to a very hot morning!  I biked into town and stopped for breakfast on Route 66 at the Rock Cafe.  Met some old timers with all kinds of stories about Stroud and the surrounding area.  After a tasty breakfast I began my ride to Okmulgee, OK.  It was incredibly hot and pretty hilly.  The first 20 miles were against a headwind making it very difficult.  I was feeling overheated early in the day and had to take breaks often.   I eventually reached the town of Prague where I was able to get some cold gatorade and shade.  Also got stung by a bee for the first time in many years, forgot what that feels like!  I slowly biked through the towns of Paden, Boley, and Castle where I took shade breaks.  60 miles into the 80 miles ride I was feeling pretty ill from heat exhaustion and decided it would be best to make a call that I wasn't going to make it to Okmulgee.  My phone would not make calls due to the heat but I was able to get a text out to the Weed Chamber.  They then called the Okmulgee Chamber who sent Brenda and Ed to come find me.  At this time my phone shut off and would not turn back on so I just relaxed in the shade trying to cool off my body.  I figured I would camp roadside if I could not make it to town but the Okmulgee had arranged a room for me at the Best Western and that air conditioning and cold shower sounded great!  Just as I was about to head down the road some more Ed and Brenda pulled up next t o me in a truck and told me that they have been looking for me.  I wasn't aware that a search party was out for me since my phone was not working.  I happily put my bike and trailer in the truck and headed into Okmulgee with my new friends.  Brenda and Ed were super friendly and kept me entertained the whole ride into town.  Ed bought me some gatorades and Brenda who works at the Okmulgee had arranged a free dinner for my from Dairy Queen.  She recommended the grilled chicken and salad which was the perfect dinner!  After picking up the food they took me to the Okmulgee Best Western which Brenda had also arranged a donated room from!  I would like to give a special thank you to both the Weed Chamber of Commerce as well as the Okmulgee Chamber of Commerce for saving me from the intense heat!!!  I'd also like to specially thank Brenda Brewer for not only picking me up but also arranging dinner, breakfast, and a hotel room!!  Also thanks to Dairy Queen as well as Okmulgee BestWestern!!!  When I got to my room I ate dinner and then took a nap, I could barely keep my eyes open.  The heat had really gotten to me today.  Stephanie at the Weed Chamber had sent me a package of goodies to the Okmulgee Chamber, thanks Stephanie!  After going through my awesome package I took a long cold shower, relaxed a bit, and then went back to bed.  What a day!
http://www.okmulgeeonline.com/
http://bestwesternoklahoma.com/hotels/best-western-plus-okmulgee



Rock Cafe


Windmill blade, these things are huge!


Found this pretty interesting

Thought it was funny that they put up a sign rather than fix the bridge rail

Hill after hill after hill...

Thanks Best Western Okmulgee!



August 20th
Started the morning off with some James Brown and coffee, great way to wake up!  I snacked a little bit at the Best Western continental breakfast and met the very friendly owner Raj, thanks again!  Next I headed to Okmulgee's main street to Kirby's Cafe who had donated me a gift certificate for a free breakfast.  I had "The Heap" which was excellent!  My ride today wasn't too long but once again it was very hot!  I took shade breaks when possible and pushed on to the town of Checotah.  Checotah is the hometown of American Idol winner Carrie Underwood.  The Checotah Chamber got me a room donated from the Budget Inn.  Thanks Checotah Chamber and Budget Inn!!!  I called Lloyd from the Checotah Chamber and he came down to the hotel to talk about my trip and even paid for my dinner.  Thanks Lloyd!!!  After a shower, some dinner, and a beer, I was asleep by 9:00.  Pretty good day overall, nice to have a relaxing evening in some air conditioning!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kirbys-Cafe/100890099956241
http://www.checotah.com/
http://www.budgetinn.com/


The Heap - hash browns stuffed with cheese, onions, peppers, and diced ham, yum!

Thanks Kirby's Cafe!

Creek Capital - 1878

Chocolate covered coffee beans don't do well in 110 degree heat!

Lloyd from the Checotah Chamber and Me - Thanks Lloyd!

1 comment:

  1. What a great adventure you're having! You're getting to see so much of the country and meeting some great people. This is just so awesome. I hope you're getting closer to your make a wish goal. I like to comment on your blog as my niece has a blog and gets really disappointed when no one adds any comments. I hope you don't mind. Keep having a most excellent ride.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete