Sunday, September 4, 2011

September 1st, 2nd

September 1st
After talking with the park ranger for a bit I thought I would bike to the lake seeing as I was at Lake Poinsett State Park and should probably at least see it.  After snapping a couple pictures I was on my way, it was another very hot day and I had a big ride ahead of me.  Today I was headed for Memphis, Tennessee!  I biked down a quiet country road and came across an old store in the town of Birdeye, Arkansas.  I stopped for some coffee and a tasty sausage biscuit.  After talking with the owner about my trip she took my picture in front of the store and gave me $5 to contribute to Make-A-Wish.  Thanks Birdeye Store!  I crossed several rivers before reaching the highway that would lead me into West Memphis.  When I arrived in West Memphis I called the Chamber of Commerce in Weed to get directions into Memphis as it was kind of tricky getting into the city.  After some confusion I decided I would just get on the interstate and cross the Mississippi River on Interstate 55.  The shoulder was full of  broken glass, car parts, and random items and before I even reached downtown Memphis I had 2 flat tires.  When I crossed over the river into Tennessee I was in the warehouse district and Erika at the Weed Chamber gave me step by step instructions over the phone to get me downtown.  Earlier in the week Stephanie at the Weed Chamber had spoke with the Memphis Chamber of Commerce and they had arranged a donated room for me from the Sleep Inn in downtown Memphis.  Thanks Weed Chamber, Memphis Chamber, and Sleep Inn!!!  I made it downtown late afternoon and really enjoyed my ride through the buildings and parks on Front Street.  I pulled into the Sleep Inn and met several nice people before checking into my room.  I was very tired from the long day but got a second wind and headed down to the world famous Beale Street for some good food, blues, and brews!  My first stop was at Dyer's Burgers which was a greta choice and then from there I checked out many of the clubs on Beale. There was an incredible amount of amazing blues musicians playing both inside and out.  I met a lot of fun and nice people and danced the night away!  Beale Street was a blast and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the blues or just loves to have fun!
http://www.memphischamber.com/
http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-memphis-tennessee-TN451
http://www.bealestreetonline.com/

Lake Poinsett

Birdeye Store


One of many river crossings

The I-55 bridge

Downtown Memphis (view from I-55 bridge)

Crossing the mighty Mississippi!

Memphis Pyramid


Thanks Memphis Chamber and Sleep Inn!

Comfy room

View of Court Square from my room


Dryer's Burger

One of many horse and carriages in downtown Memphis



September 2nd
I didn't wake up until about noon after a late night on Beale Street and was very happy I had a rest day and didn't have to bike anywhere.  Thanks again to the Memphis Chamber and Sleep Inn for the two nights of donated lodging!!  I walked to a nearby sub shop called Lenny's and then went back to the room to catch up on my to do list.  After being in the room most of the day I decided to take a walk around downtown Memphis and explore a little.  I walked along the Mississippi River, checked out the riverboats and old buildings, and then went back to the room for a little bit before deciding to head back down to Beale Street.  After some more good food I checked out some more great music and made it a somewhat early night.  I love Memphis, good people, great food, and excellent music!
http://www.memphischamber.com/
http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-memphis-tennessee-TN451
http://www.bealestreetonline.com/


View of the I-55 bridge


My favorite of all the clubs on Beale Street

Every night Beale Street closes off the road and bars serve big ass beers inside and outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment