Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 6th, 7th, 8th

September 6th
It was a chilly morning when I woke up but I slept great!  I want to thank Shepherd's Dream for the awesome wool sleeping mat, sure makes tent camping extra enjoyable!  I can set up on a pile of rocks and still be comfortable.  Check out there website below, they make a lot of really nice bedding and you can order online.  I got all packed up and took one last walk by the lake before beginning today's ride.  There was a strong North wind which helped me out for most of the day.  Always nice when you get a tailwind, makes a huge difference!  I made another McDonalds wifi, yogurt, and water stop in the town of Henderson, TN.  From there I road on a mixture of highway and back country roads taking me to the town of Adamsville.   The ride was nice and quiet and really pretty.  There were a couple decent hills and the temperatures were great in the 70's!  So nice to have good riding conditions again.  I did encounter a pretty terrifying dog that wanted to have me for lunch but it pulled a couple quick moves and got around him without a fight.  Made me think of Cujo!  In Adamsville I was getting pretty hungry so I stopped at Ma Ma Fia's Cafe.  I met Mike, the owner of the cafe and he offered to buy my lunch after hearing about my bike trip.  Thanks Mike!!!  I ordered the chicken parmesan which came with salad and garlic bread and all of it was delicious!!  I also had the homemade New York cheesecake which was also  incredibly tasty!  I would highly recommend eating here if you are ever in Adamsville, TN!  From Adamsville I had an easy ride on a nice wide shoulder into the city of Savannah.  Stephanie at the Weed Chamber called me with news that the Quality Inn in Savannah donated me a room for the evening.  Thank you Stephanie and thank you Quality Inn Savannah, TN!!!  After a nice shower I ran to the grocery store and then got some business done online.  Nice to have a room to work on the blog and catching up on emails.  Sorry of it takes a while for me to respond to emails by the way but I do enjoy getting them!
http://www.shepherdsdream.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ma-Ma-Fias-Cafe/187643017956307
http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-savannah-tennessee-TN049

Leaving Chickasaw State Park after my Labor Day break

Lake Placid - Chickasaw State Park



Excellent food!  Great prices!  Highly Recommended!

Chicken Parmesan

Thanks for lunch Ma Ma Fia's Cafe!!!  The chef and I

Crossing the Tennessee River

Thanks Quality Inn Savannah, TN!

Nice comfy bed!


September 7th
Started the morning off with a good continental breakfast at the Quality Inn in Savannah, TN.  I love the waffle makers, always a nice start to the day!  I took my time getting ready and listened to music, drank coffee, and got packed up.  It was a nice party cloudy day starting in the 60's and warming up throughout the day.  I had a mix of riding conditions and encountered quite a bit of road construction.  At times I was able to ride on the closed part of the road which was great!  About half way through the ride I took a break for some Butterfinger cake at a little store, so good!  Early afternoon I reached my destination of Lawrenceburg, TN, home of David Crockett.  I got a nice campsite along a creek at David Crockett State Park and when I went to the office to pay I met Dede who let me hold Buttermilk, an albino corn snake.  This was actually the first time I have ever held a snake so it was pretty exciting for me!  I biked a couple miles through the park and relaxed by the lake for a bit before heading back to the campsite for the evening.  While riding though the park I saw several deer, turkeys, and I saw two cows fighting each other.  I watched for a while and wondered what they were fighting about.  Who has the better milk perhaps?



Blasting Zone!


Recently blasted area

I am amazed how even the tiny bridged have names






Me and Buttermilk




September 8th
Had a great sleep at David Crockett State Park and after breakfast I hit the road.  The weather was great and I had a nice wide shoulder to ride on most of the day.  I biked through the towns of Pulaski and Fayetteville and was looking for a place to sleep for the evening.  After getting on Google I found a campground in Kelso, TN.  I called Elk River Canoe Rentals and they told me it was only $5 for a campsite so that is where I headed.  When reaching Kelso I took a gravel road several miles and met a deputy sheriff / baptist preacher.  We talked for a while about bicycling and his plans to ride during his retirement.  After  long ride he assured me that the campground was just over one more hill.  I biked into the Canoe Rental / Campground in the evening and was the only one there.  I set up camp and made plans to meet Ben, the owner of Elk River Canoe Rental in the morning.  It was a beautiful night with cool temperatures and an assortment of wildlife.  I saw deer, turkeys, a huge spider, and fell asleep to the sound of owls in the trees just above me.
http://www.elkrivercanoes.com/


Bike Route!


Elk River Canoe Rental


Elk River

Hard to tell from this picture but this spider was huge!!

No comments:

Post a Comment