Sunday, June 7, 2009

June 4th-5th

June 4th - 34.94 / 188.24 - Portage - Mirror Lake State Park

After a good nights sleep in my first hotel of the trip I hopped back on the bike and began my ride to Mirror Lake state park. I started out by following the Portage canal and then crossed the mighty Wisconsin River. For the next 10 miles I rode on Rustic Road 49, a very quiet road that runs along the river. It was a perfect day in the 70's with very little traffic and incredible scenery. After leaving Rustic Road 49 I crossed I-90 and took Shady Road west all the way to the park. Along the way I stopped and visited the International Crane Foundation which was currently under construction. Arrived at the campsite early afternoon and spent some time exploring the park. Lake Delton and the Wisconsin Dells were just minutes away by car so I ordered a pizza to my campsite, that was a first for me but it really hit the spot. After dinner I went down to the picnic area at Mirror Lake and watched the sunset. It was still a warm 65 degrees at sunset, felt great! Went back to the campsite, had a small fire, scared off a raccoon, and called it a night. Great day!



The Portage Canal


The Wisconsin River ( near Portage )


Wisconsin River ( along Rustic Road 49 )


The road to Mirror Lake


Mirror Lake State Park


Eastern Tent Caterpillars ( they are everywhere!! )

When you camp near the dells you can actually order a pizza to your campsite
Taking the scraps to the garbage ( there wasn't much left )

Mirror Lake reflection


Mirror Lake reflection 2


My Surly Cross Check bike and Burley Nomad trailer

California bound!
My campfire

My campsite at Mirror Lake


June 5th - 2.88 / 191.12 ( day off )

Today was my first day off the bike. It was nice to not have to take down the tent and pack everything up. It was also nice to sleep in to 9:30. My friends Dave and Amy planned to meet me at the park so I relaxed at the campsite most of the morning. After my friends arrived we hopped in Dave's car and headed out to Devils Lake state park. Devils Lake is a beautiful park with tall bluffs surrounding the lake and lots of good hiking trails and climbing opportunities. We climbed to the top of one of the bluffs and took in the incredible views. After spending most of the afternoon at Devils Lake we headed back to the campsite and chowed down on a whole bunch of good food, drank some beers, and had a nice fire. Another great day!


A friend I made at Mirror Lake


Dave and Amy at Devils Lake State Park

Balanced Rock at Devils Lake

Crane flying by at eye level


One of the many views atop the bluffs at Devils Lake


Devils Lake State Park

No comments:

Post a Comment