Wednesday, June 3, 2009

May 31st - June 3rd

May 31st

The day before the start of my Quest West was a blast! A group of my friends and I drove to Sheboygan, Wisconsin and camped at a large group site at Kohler-Andrae State Park. We disc golfed at Wisconsin's first disc golf course, Volrath Park. We played horseshoes, bocce ball, frisbee, and had a nice bonfire. It was really fun having a party with some of my best friends the night before my trip!

Downtown Milwaukee ( on the way up to Sheboygan )


The starting point of my Quest West adventure!


View from behind the campsite. Lake Michigan in top right corner.

The gang at the campsite showing some love for Make-A-Wish


A hot fire on a chilly night


( mileages are posted after dates, daily and Quest West total )

June 1st - 43.16 - Kohler Andrae State Park to Long Lake Recreation Area

Woke up feeling a little groggy from all the fun the night before but ready to roll and begin my long awaited trip. The weather was great, just a little windy but it was really sunny and hit the 70's by early afternoon. Started out by biking through Sheboygan, Wisconsin and then hopped on the Old Plank Road trail for 17 miles. It was a hilly and windy trail but still pretty enjoyable. After reaching the end of the trail in Greenbush I biked through beautiful Northern Kettle Moraine. Very few cars, plenty of wildlife, great scenery, and some more challenging hills. I arrived at my campsite at Long Lake around 3:00p.m. and set up camp. Got a nice fire going, relaxed, and cooked up some canned soup. I had a great view from my site of a beautiful sunset. Chilly night in the low 40's but slept great!


Old Plank Road Trail

Couple of Wisconsin spotted cows


Nice spot for a break at the end of the Old Plank Road trail
Wade House - One of the earliest stage coach inns in Wisconsin
Scenic road through Kettle Moraine
Wild Columbine flower

Greenbush Kettle

June 2nd - 45.09 / 88.25 - Long Lake to Waupan County Park

Woke up nice and early to a chilly morning still in the low 40's. While packing up my tent I came across a huge spider! ( pictured below ) I started the ride off by biking down to Long Lake and checking it out. It was very relaxing and I had it to myself other than some geese. I left the park and biked a Kettle Moraine scenic drive, once again very pretty! Found a bike trail that took me into the town of Dundee where I checked out the old mill from 1855. Made a water stop at the gas station and visited the Ice Age Visitor Center. From there I biked hilly country roads while passing lots of farms, all kinds of livestock, and a wind turbine field. I came to the top of a large hill and had an awesome view of Horicon Marsh! It was a great feeling seeing my days destination even though it was still some miles away. After stopping at A&W for a quick lunch I arrived at my campsite at Waupan County Park nice and early, around 2:30. The camp hosts were very friendly and even delivered a free bundle of wood to my site. The bathroom was almost brand new and was the cleanest campground bathroom/shower I have ever seen. My campsite was a good one, secluded, large, and had electricity to charge up my phone. I had some birds that didn't leave the entire time I was at the site and they kept landing on my bike and tent, I think they wanted to come to California with me. The night was comfortable, staying in the 50's. Once again I slept great and had lots of dreams!


Scary Spider ( if you know what it is email me, I'm curious )


Long Lake


Pretty flower in Kettle Moraine


The Dundee Mill

Nice dam in Cambellsport

The long road ahead to Horicon Marsh

My campsite at Waupan County Park

Very tasty easy campfire meal

June 3rd - 65.08 / 153.33 - Waupan to Portage

Beautiful morning, sunny and warm! Started off my backtracking 10 miles East to get to the Wild Goose trail. Felt strange pedaling East during my Quest West. It was worth it to re-visit the Wild Goose trail. I have never seen so many chipmunks, I had to keep ringing my bell so they would move out of the way. Also saw quite a few cats, pretty common on the bike trails near farmland. I didn't see one person the entire time I was on the trail. After traveling South on the trail for a number of miles I got to my turn and started heading West again. It was another beautiful ride pedaling through rural Wisconsin with little traffic. I was passed by an old Ford Model T who honked and waved at me. I have had quite a few folks wave at me from there cars and yards and have met some very nice people who were excited to here about my trip. I did reassure myself that I need to stock up on water and food before a ride because there was nowhere to stop all day. I was prepared but it was still a good lesson for the future. After biking 65 miles I arrived to my hotel and was happy to be there! Took a hot shower, did some laundry, made a few phone calls, checked my emails, and headed off for dinner. There was a nice restaurant adjacent to the hotel where I got some tasty soup, garlic bread, and baked mostaccioli. Yum! Took a dip in the hot tub which felt very good on my weary bones. It was a great day once again and I am excited for tomorrow and all the days to follow!


My transportation this Summer


Couple of birdies along the Wild Goose trail


Horse along side the road


Me enjoying a beautiful day on the bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment