Friday, July 1, 2011

June 29th and 30th

Day 29
Woke up early and was on the road by 6:00a.m.  Today was one of the toughest rides of the trip.  It was mostly uphill against very strong headwinds with gusts reaching 60mph!  The temps were in the 90's and it was not an easy ride.  I spent most of the day biking on route 66 and made a stop in Seligman for a very tasty breakfast.  When I reached the town of Ash Fork I took a nice break before getting onto interstate 40 to finish the 71 mile ride into Williams.  By the time I got to Williams it was 5:00 making it an 11 hour difficult ride.  My first stop in Williams was the chamber of commerce who set me up with a place to sleep and some dinner.  Thanks so much Williams Chamber of Commerce!!!  Had a delicious chicken dinner at the Pine Country Restaurant and then headed over to the Grand Living Bed and Breakfast.  I met the very friendly innkeepers Bill and Gloria who got me set up in my very cozy room.  I was pretty exhausted after the long ride and just relaxed on the porch and in my room with the cool breeze blowing in through the window.  Felt great to have overnight temperatures in the upper 40's.  Thanks again Pine Country and Grand Living B&B!!!


www.brubar.com

Day 29, but close enough!



Big breakfast at Westside Lilo's Cafe
( ate it all )



Route 66

Wind damage

Saw many broke down trucks on the climb into Williams

I-40



My very cozy room at Grand Living B&B





Day 30
Woke up early and had a very delicious breakfast at the Grand Living B&B!  Gloria made strawberry pancakes, poached eggs, and sausage and it was incredible!  Thanks Gloria!  After breakfast I headed to the Grand Canyon Train Station.  The Grand Canyon Railway was kind enough to take me as well as my bike and trailer up to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.  The even put me on the first class Coconino car which was so very nice!  All of the staff was very friendly and they even had a cowboy shoot out before boarding the train.  We departed Williams at 9:30a.m. and started the scenic train ride to the Grand Canyon.  We were entertained by a western cowboy singer/guitarist and I had a mimosa and a Grand Canyon Brewery beer to start the morning off right.  The train ride was so relaxing and by noon we were at the canyon.  Thank you so very much Grand Canyon Railway!!!  

I picked up my bike and trailer at the depot and headed for the campground.  Although the campground was full they did have room for me at the hiker/biker campsites.  Got all set up and then headed for the rim of the Grand Canyon.  I had been to the the Canyon about 15 years ago but it is great to be back!  I biked along the Hermits Rest road which only allows shuttle buses and bicycles.  It was really awesome checking out all of the amazing view points and taking it all in.  I had forgotten how gigantic the Canyon really is!  Later in the afternoon I headed back to the campsite for a nice nap in the shade and then got stocked up on some groceries at the very nice grocery store nearby the campground.  I met Beskin from New York who was sharing the campsite and was on a Grand Canyon backpacking trip.  Just before sunset I headed back over to the rim of the canyon and watched the beauty of the colors as the sun went down.  It was really awesome and so very relaxing.  On my way back to the campsite I startled a coyote who startled a deer and both were directly in front of me on the road.  Awesome!  Had a couple beers and hung out with Beskin before falling asleep while staring off into the sky full of stars.  
What a great day, so happy to be at the Grand Canyon!

Grand Living B&B


The Breakfast Room


Thanks again Grand Living B&B!

Thanks Grand Canyon Railway!


Williams Cowboys

Grand Canyon Railway entertainment!

Delicious Mimosa!

View from my window





The Grand Canyon!






Thanks Burley, loving my new Nomad trailer!

Not just people crossing

Sunset at the Canyon




Variety of local beers

No comments:

Post a Comment