Friday, September 23, 2011

September 22nd - Asheville!

September 22nd
I finished up my ride from Weed, California to Asheville, North Carolina on the last day of Summer!  I had mixed feelings as I biked towards Asheville.  I was excited to complete my journey and start the next chapter of life but I also felt like I could keep on pedaling and exploring new places.  After some rolling hills and several breaks I pulled into Asheville early afternoon.  As I approached the mountain surrounded city I received a phone call from Erika at the Weed Chamber of Commerce letting me know that the Four Points Sheraton in downtown Asheville had a room for me for 2 nights!  Thanks Erika and thanks Four Points Sheraton!!!  I biked through downtown Asheville and got directions to the hotel from one of the locals.  The hotel staff was very friendly and excited about my trip and making it to my destination.  After getting some dinner I met with a bunch of nice folks from Couchsurfing.com.  They had scheduled a weekly meet up and I thought it would be a good way to get to know some people.  Everyone was very nice and fun!  They gave me all kinds of insight and advise about living in Asheville while having some beers at a local bar.  I headed back to the hotel with plans to wake up early and begin my job hunt.  I am hoping to find a job and place to live in Asheville for the time being!  If anyone knows of anything I am open to suggestion.

I want to thank everyone involved in the Biking for Wishes project and fund raising for the Make-A-Wish Foundation!  You can still donate through the blog and all donations are greatly appreciated!  So far online and check donations have reached a total of $2,956, thank you all so much for donating!!!  I would like to give a special thank you to Stephanie Shaver for her amazing help with this project!!!  I would also like to thank all of my awesome sponsors, everyone who donated both to the Make-A-Wish Foundation and helped "Feed Kevin", and all of the wonderful people I met on the road who helped with lodging, food, rides, or just a nice conversation.  The ride was challenging but also very rewarding. I got to see many new places, some of which I can't wait to re-visit.  I met so many wonderful people and not one bad person!  Just like my bicycle trip from Wisconsin to California, the people are what really made the trip so special.  The wildlife and scenery were excellent but it is the people that really make it so worth while!

I will continue to update this blog with photos and stories from in and around Asheville, as well as upcoming events.  I will have calendars for sale soon of my favorite 13 images of the trip and the Biking for Wishes film will be released some time in 2012.  I plan to show the film in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as well as Weed, California and maybe a few places in between.  All of this will be announced on the blog so be sure to check back in the coming weeks.

Thank you all once again for being a part of this adventure!


Trip Statistics
Total Mileage - 3,812
Max Speed - 42mph ( Death Valley )
Riding Time ( actual pedaling ) - 302.5 hours
Days on Road - 114 days with 25 days off the bike
Highest Temperature - 120 degrees ( Death Valley )
Highest Elevation - 9,101 ft. - Palo Flechado Pass ( East of Taos, NM )
Lowest Elevation - 190 feet below sea level ( Furnace Creek - Death Valley )
Best Wildlife Encounter - Momma bear and cub running across road in front of me - Lassen N. Forest

Contest!
Everyone who leaves a comment on this blog post will be entered to win the Biking for Wishes gift pack!  The gift pack consists of my 2012 Biking for Wishes Calendar, a Biking for Wishes Magnet, first copy of the Biking for Wishes DVD, and a 8x10 print of your choice from any picture on the blog.  The winner will be announced on the blog next week Friday the 30th!

Made it!!

Arriving to Asheville

Thanks Four Points Sheraton!

Nice bed to end the trip!


Some friends I made on the road!




Me!  haha

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin, this is Tom and Karen from Lake Mead writing. A big thumbs up to you, you really did a great job! Congratulations! You'll finally have time (and money) to buy some rasor blades ;-)
    Many greetings from Belgium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Kevin! What a ride. I just got a bike myself and hopefully in time I can have myself a bike trip.

    ReplyDelete