Tuesday, August 25, 2009

August 17th - 22nd

August 17th - 20.16 / 3,321.44 - South Beach State Park - Waldport

Today was another beautiful day along the Oregon coast. After saying goodbye to Tony and Devian I pedaled an easy 20 miles to the quaint town of Waldport. Spent most of the afternoon watching the waves and then did my grocery shopping and blog update. Loving Oregon!


Sunny day in Waldport



August 18th - 40.34 / 3,361.78 - Waldport - Honeyman State Park

Woke up to another beautiful day after a great nights sleep and got back on hwy 101. I stopped at several state parks and was mesmerized by the crashing waves. I passed through another tunnel, saw many sea lions, watched the clouds come off the ocean, and checked out a lighthouse. The ride was full of hills but the wind was strong at my back making the uphill easy and the downhill even faster than normal. After arriving at Honeyman State Park I ran into Dirk and Donna who I have been seeing all down the coast. Great people! After setting up camp I hiked to the two lakes in the park and then climbed one of the gigantic sand dunes. Today was a beautiful day with so much to see!


Waves crashing into the shore


Looking down on the huge waves


Devils Churn


Love watching the waves explode against the rocks


Quite a sight!


Hi everybody!


Peace


Rocky Shoreline


Big waves on the Pacific


Foggy beach


Fog in the Forest


Another uphill tunnel - loud and dangerous


Lovely Oregon Coast


Lighthouse in the fog


Many Sea Lions


One of the lakes at Honeyman State Park


Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area


August 19th - 20 / 3,381.78 - Honeyman State Park - Reedsport

After saying goodbye to Dirk and Donna I was back on the road. I ran into several bikers today and had to race through some road construction. I was still seeing sand dunes along the highway and occasionally views of the ocean. After having some delicious coffee in Reedsport I decided to get a cheap motel room and take a nap. It was nice to relax and walk around town after a short day of riding.
Donna and Dirk


August 20th - 49.94 / 3,431.72 - Reedsport - Bullards Beach State Park

After another delicious coffee I hit the road about 11:00. It was cloudy but comfortable today. I stopped to see another lighthouse and crossed a pretty scary bridge. It was very long with no shoulder so you just have to hope that the cars slow down and give you space. After the bridge crossing I left hwy 101 for a nice quiet scenic route through the woods. I had another huge hill to climb but it was awesome to ride down, as usual. I arrived to Bullards Beach State Park, set up camp, and then checked out a demonstration on Myrtlewood. Oregon Myrtlewood is unique and is used for wood carvings and sold in shops all down the coast. Pretty neat stuff!

Above the tracks


Scary crossing this bridge


August 21st - 40.81 / 3,472.53 - Bullards Beach State Park - Humbug Mountain State Park

After a short ride from the park I arrived to the town of Bandon. Had some good breakfast at the Loon Cafe which had a great outdoor patio blocked from the wind. I stopped to see many rock formations in and along the Ocean today. It was interesting seeing all of the different things washed up on the beach. I saw sea lion pups, crabs, all kinds of birds, and many things I couldn't identify. One of my favorite areas was the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge. It was so beautiful! After making a sandwich for lunch I pushed on and had many spectacular views of the Ocean all afternoon. I pulled off to take a picture of the coast in one spot and found a large waterfall, awesome! Once again the wind was strong at my back making for an easy ride. I arrived to Humbug Mountain State Park and set up camp. Shortly after arriving I met Scott and Missy who were biking with there dog Buckaroo. Later on Joanne and Kyli joined us and we had a nice fire and listened to Joanne's incredible singing and guitar playing. What a great day!

One of many Oregon lighthouses


Lots of sea lion pups nearby


Oregon Coast


Oregon Coast


It was hard to leave this beautiful beach!


Quest West most seen bird - the Seagull

Rocks and waves


Many interesting log formations along the beach


So many incredible views

Sand dunes along Hwy 101


Cruising along the coast


August 22nd - 51.17 / 3,523.70 - Humbug Mountain State Park - Harris Beach State Park

I rode with Scott, Missy, and Buckaroo today and we had a nice day that was incredibly windy. This time of year the winds come from the North along the coast so they are typically in my favor. We had some great views of the Ocean and some pretty huge hills. I hit my top speed of the trip so far at 41.5 mph. I also hit the 3,500 mile mark for the trip! We arrived to Harris Beach State Park late afternoon and found a nice campsite. A little later a guy named Josh pulled up and had us laughing all night long, great guy with toms of funny stories!


Buckaroo


Scott and Buckaroo in the trailer


Oregon Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment